In terms to provide connectivity, it has been always copper wires that are used to provide this, however, not long ago, fiber optics made its way to become a far more superior method in strengthening connectivity.
Fiber optic wires travel faster because the materials to make it are from glass instead of using metal. The fiber is as thin as a human hair and these glass wires are used nowadays to transmit and receive information through laser-generated pulses for the fastest way possible.
Speed is what made different industries and businesses to embrace the technological innovation brought by fiber optics. Because of fiber optics, the information can travel a lot faster and closer to the speed of light which provides virtually unlimited bandwidth for its users. However, there are other benefits that are not given enough attention which makes fiber optics a whole lot better than cables or Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL).
So, here are the five of the most noteworthy benefits that fiber optics can offer to a business.
- Completely reliable– Fiber optics are known to have zero downtime compared to copper cables because the glass wire that is used in it can withstand even more compared to copper wires. Fiber optics can resist also the different effects of weather and temperature conditions in a particular area. It can even be submerged in water without any interruption of its signal and connectivity. Fiber optics are also safe from electricity because of its anti-conducive ability which can withstand or resist electromagnetic interference as well as radio frequency interference for a better connection.
- Cloud-hosting accessibility– In terms of the success of any cloud solution always depend on the reliability of the internet connection. Fiber optics simply provide a better way to become more resilient and reliability when it comes to speed in its connectivity that is highly needed for cloud computing and hosting. The ultra-speed connection that fiber optic provides is very ideal to transmit and receive bigger volumes of data and digital information easily and quickly.
- Low latency– Latency is the amount of time that takes for a packet to reach its destination, and compared to copper and DSL, fiber optics can guarantee you better connection speeds knowing that fiber-optic networks can provide faster download and upload speeds which virtually have zero latency, but depending on how a network functions knowing that packets of information can be sent or received quickly without suffering from traffic.
- Higher bandwidth– An average copper cable can provide a single user up to 3,000 hertz of bandwidth according to the Fiber Optic Association, while fiber optics offers a thousand times more bandwidth over a hundred times the distance of copper cables where the latter can provide 1.5mb per second at 2.5-kilometers while fiber optics can provide a whopping 2.5-gigabytes per second for over 200km especially that fiber optics is now powered with the Distributed acoustic sensing (DAS) technology .
- Better signal strength– Considering that glass is a lot thinner and lighter compared to copper, there are more wires that can fit in a sheath of cable meaning it can provide you better signal compared to a copper wire which can only be fitted with just a few pieces, this is because the higher the concentration of wires inside a sheath of a cable the more it reduces the degradation of sending signals in longer distances. The cladding which covers the wires also reflects the light which prevents the signal to escape and allows it to travel faster around the bent cable.